Friday, March 8, 2013

If you can't beat 'em, leave 'em



My time in Kigali thus far has altered my understanding of gender. The initial reaction I felt from the continued sexual harassment I encounter was blaming. Even when I repeated to myself over and over again that it wasn’t my fault and the men that have been shouting at and touching me are wrong. Even when my thoughts were confirmed by people that I respect, I caught myself trying to wear less revealing clothing and making sure not to have more than one beer at the bar. There are safety precautions any smart person in a new environment should take and I try to be mindful of societal norms. However, that automatic and somewhat subconscious reaction reflects a much deeper issue. 

One instance was particularly hurtful. It occurred just a few weeks into my arrival in Kigali. A crowd of men were jeering at me and one made inappropriate advances on me. I’m a 23 year old female so this kind of thing isn’t exactly new (I don’t overlook how incredibly sad that statement is). I got away from him but in the process saw that a woman was also in the group, laughing at a man who had done something that he shouldn’t have which made me feel violated and unsafe. A woman was laughing at another woman who had just been assaulted. I was shaken up and annoyed with the man but I was furious with the woman.

This woman had done nothing overt to hurt me. She had been part of a large group of people, none of whom I was nearly as angry with. So why the woman? Because she saw a blatant instance of violence against another woman and did nothing. My reaction was somewhat hypocritical.
Most of my friends are men. This changed somewhat last semester as I started to make friends at Dominican but generally, my group of friends is largely populated by men. This blog made me think a lot about the woman who laughed at me that day. In a group of men, how often do I shrug off sexist remarks? How frequently do I allow my male friends to make jokes about sexual assault or tell demeaning stories about women they have hooked up with? How often do I personally judge another woman for the decisions she makes regarding her own body? I’m not sure but I can assume I wouldn’t be proud of the answer. 

The worst part is, there are few things that make me as angry as gender based violence. And yet I perpetuate it because I’m too afraid to be seen as the “feminist bitch who can’t take a joke.” Which is absurd. Why would I want to stay friends with people who joke about these things? Why would I want to continue seeing a guy who thinks the degradation of women is funny?  

Scrm received a text message last weekend from a friend in Houston joking about sexual slavery and getting him a “bitch” if he gets a visa to the states. I didn’t laugh it off. I told him his attitude towards sexual violence didn’t jive with mine and that I didn’t want to continue seeing him if those were his feelings. We parted ways. Me angry and upset and him, I’m guessing, very confused. A few nights ago, Scrm asked me to meet him for dinner because he wanted to talk and I agreed. As we sat down to eat, he apologized for laughing at the text message and said that he didn’t understand what his friend had meant and he therefore didn’t understand why I was so angry. Seeking answers, he sought out a friend to discuss the issue with and got clarification. He realized that what his friend had said was wrong. 

After long and careful reflection regarding societal norms and cultural differences between Scrm and me, I’m proud of what I did. Because I only add fuel to the biased, sexist, political fire by accepting sexist speech. This isn’t a Can’t Beat ‘em, Join ‘em kind of scenario. If I can’t change the minds of my friends who think rape and sexual assault is funny, I should get new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment