Sunday, March 24, 2013

An Apology



Instead of writing an entry catching up on everything that has happened and is happening in my life, I will ask for forgiveness for my radio silence and give an explanation. But please, be patient; this isn't easy.

I leave Kigali in a little over three weeks. In 24 days I am boarding an airplane to return to the United States. At the one-month-remaining mark I felt anxious. I wondered what contribution I have made in my time here and why it matters that I came. I have taken so much from Rwanda and I hate feeling that the relationship is not mutual. I combated this anxiety with the opportunity to work on the youth survivor research project with the team and discussing with a coworker about the best way to create change in HIV/AIDS treatment for survivors who were raped during the genocide. Because although I know I cannot change the world or “save” Rwanda, I’d like to think that no matter where I am, I can make a positive contribution. In the end, I can never give this country what it has given me. 

At first, this blog was about chronicling my experiences in Kigali as I adapted to a new environment and the trials and tribulations in that process. Stories and anecdotes were at times very personal but still written from an outside perspective. I witnessed everything without being immersed in anything. Somewhere between battling cockroaches and questioning gender norms, it became writing about my life, not my “abroad experiences.” I can be fairly open about my experiences in a new place (i.e. see Toilet Talk) but letting others read about my life now seems exploitative. I am involved in the research that I am because it matters and it is an excellent opportunity for me to learn more about qualitative analysis. I spend time with friends (both muzungu and otherwise) because they are good people. I have developed real feelings for Scrm because he is caring and vulnerable and he brings out a lot of the best in me. I stopped writing several times in that last sentence, afraid and hesitant to share so much of myself. 

That is what Rwanda has become to me. Too close. I am an active member in the world I am writing about and that scares the hell out of me. I am still stared at and treated differently for being muzungu and that would never change. Throughout the past few years, life broke my heart. And like any good heart break, one is wary to put herself out there again. I remained, to a great extent a spectator. And then I landed in Kigali and nothing in me will ever be the same. Life still hurts sometimes. Bad things will happen and sometimes life just sucks. But in the same breathe, life will go on. 

In the past few weeks I have had important and meaningful experiences from reading and coding survivor interviews and defending confidentiality to an intense and frustrating debate about the word ethnicity in Rwanda. About realizing how important the friendships I have made are to me and how unique each person is. Acknowledging that the life that I am living right now is about to end in what is expected to be one of the most painful loses of my life. With no intention of being dramatic. My heart will break. And it will heal. 

The sun will rise April 13 and I will be there to greet the coming day with the fearless compassion and devotion I have developed in recent months.

 No edits, no filters. The stunning beginning to a new day.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your heartfelt and meaningful blog, Erika. It took a lot of pain and effort to share your innermost thoughts, those which you were able to share, and that pain and effort is not lost on those who read your blog entry.

    Many of our difficult and painful life experiences are such incredible gifts, because they move us to become leaders and educators, allowing our experiences to rub off, if only slightly, with those around us. It will take you quite a while to process your incredible time in Rwanda and what your friendships and experiences mean to you. And over time, the lessons you think you were meant to learn will change.

    So you will become a very new and different person, and as a result from the one who left three months ago. You will change others - some profoundly, some only tangentially. It's kind of like throwing a huge stone in a pond, and the initial resulting concentric waves are large, strong, and push the water away from the stone. Other smaller waves form and create other waves, then ripples, then barely perceptible ripples; then silence. If you are able to impart what you've learned from your journey to Rwanda to others, educating just by being a changed person who does not take life for granted, you will most certainly be that stone.

    I am looking forward to being on that first wave once you get back to the US and hit the pond.

    Love you, lady! And although I don't know any of the new and wonderful friends you've made, please give them my (and my family's) best.

    ReplyDelete