Thursday, March 28, 2013

A reflection on states' rights

When traveling or living abroad, I have taken with me a sense of pride of the US. Not that I expect people I encounter to love the US as much as I do because that would be silly, but I believe I was fortunate to be born where I was. 

While reading the news lately, I actually consider jumping ship and just watching as a country that I have been taught to love implodes in a cloud of bigotry and hate. I don’t mean this as a threat like I did with my 2008 election plans to make a run for Canada if Obama lost. With more and more reflection of where I am in my life and what I want my life to be, I seem to be facing serious ideological differences with a country that I once loved. 

It scares me that in North Carolina teachers are allowed to carry guns. I find it to be offensive that primarily upper class white men are deciding what I can and cannot do with my own body. More than anything, I don’t think I can live in the same country as people who believe rape is part of human nature and so men just can’t help it. 

Gun control, abortion, same sex marriage, education. What do these things have in common? They are all predominantly states rights under the Constitution. Anything that could have possibly arisen in the past two hundred years automatically falls under the jurisdiction of individual states. Basically, because the Founding Fathers couldn't predict the future, individual states can do bonkers with a "heartbeat bill."

 Which brings me to another point. The spirit in which the Constitution was written is not the spirit or conditions in which it is now read. Cool, we have the oldest constitution in the world. You know what is a lot cooler? A federal law banning automatic assault weapons or nationwide legalization of same sex marriage. Why can’t we accept that the Constitution was written in a different time and its practical application is hindering rather than promoting the quality of life of all American citizens? Law makers could still create laws in the spirit of the Constitution and founding principles of the country without being bound and constricted by an irrelevant document written by what were basically a group of privileged white men to begin with. 

With no disrespect for the founding fathers, of course. 

Just a thought as I wind down my day.

1 comment:

  1. "Why can’t we accept that the Constitution was written in a different time and its practical application is hindering rather than promoting the quality of life of all American citizens?"
    Yes, this. I don't think I've seen it put a better way.

    ReplyDelete