Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Adding fuel to the fire



This will not be my most elegant post. I think I have written a bit about the research project I am helping with while I am here. But for clarity, the Rwandan government asked CNLG to write a report on the psychosocial state of youth survivors of the Genocide. Researchers went to the four provinces and Kigali to conduct interviews with survivors. Now, we are reading the transcripts for those interviews in a pilot study to begin the coding process. Coding is reading through the transcripts and assigning themes to each section that draws directly from the text. Last week we started reading the interview transcripts individually and assigning themes based on our own reading of the text. Everyone emailed me their themed interviews, I compiled them all into one master list and an excel document organizing them (which took a very long time), and now we are meeting as a team to decide which themes will become codes.  

Assigning themes is difficult in that one must stay within what the respondent has said and leave out any analysis of meaning. That comes later in the paper/report/article. Sitting six people down together to come to an agreement on one way to say up to six different interpretations and that respects the data is long. And exhausting. It is one of the most valuable experiences I have had in Rwanda and I am fortunate to be a part of it but there are a few times that I have been much less than thrilled to be working on the project. This was one of those times.

There are certain topics that are not discussed in Rwanda. While coding, I read what I believed to be a blatant example of a government worker using power to control a misinformed beneficiary. The interviewee was threatened loss of benefits if they continued to cause trouble for the government worker. The actions of the worker caused the interviewee to report having fear that she would be chased from her house which was part of a survivor village and legally belongs to her.

Another member of the research team wanted the theme for this to be “lack of communication between service provider and beneficiary.” Another suggested “bad communication.” We ended up settling on “Interactions with some service providers causes fear of insecurity.” After a frustrating discussion with the team I realized I was fighting a battle I could not win.

I want to move past this incident but various questions keep surfacing. The interviews are in Kinyarwanda. If this blatant of censorship and manipulation of data is occurring in the coding process, what was left out completely? The government is not actually interested in improving services to survivors or else they would not be censoring the real problems survivors are facing. A survivor whose mother was raped and murdered in front of her lives next door to the perpetrator and she is forced to live in fear and silence because saying that she is afraid of her genocide perpetrator neighbor doesn't lend to reconciliation. How is Rwanda supposed to begin nation building when the government has created reconciliation villages as tourist attractions. Tourists can come and hear survivors and perpetrators tell their stories... exploiting survivors is not nation building it is repugnant.

The greater question is, should I be assisting in research that I know is not accurate and is only furthering the government’s agenda? Can I accept the little good that may come from the report if the greater issues are being ignored?

No comments:

Post a Comment