Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Shower Adventures



I must begin this post by explaining the shower mechanism in my bathroom. The shower head is attached to a hose that supplies the water from the tank outside. Although, I’m suspicious of this hose because it falls out frequently and the water sprays everywhere… but from the attachment on the showerhead, not from the hose. It is all very confusing.  The showerhead is also plugged in to the outlet in the wall. The electricity is what heats the water so that it isn’t freezing when it comes out. If you touch the showerhead or cord while showering, you get electrocuted. Not the fun little zap when you lick a battery. The bone shaking kind. Similar to trying to stir anything cooking on the stove with a metal utensil.  Luckily, I have only heard about this from Calum and Michael because I’m not tall enough for this to be an issue. They are both very tall men. But the showerhead still makes me rather nervous. 

Yesterday the showerhead somehow became unplugged from the wall. After several attempts to stick it back in while praying that I survive whatever will happen when I do get it plugged in, I give up and take a cold shower. I don’t mean the relaxing room temperature water that just encourages an expedited shower. I mean convulsing with shivers kind of cold which, I must note, makes it very difficult to wash your hair and downright dangerous to shave your legs. I forgot to tell Evode about the electricity issue yesterday so I woke up this morning dreading my shower. 

After a very warm and humid night, I bit the bullet and decided maybe an ice cold shower wouldn’t be so bad. I begin my torturous process of stepping into the freezing water stream to get my hair wet and getting out to apply shampoo when the hose falls out of the showerhead. I turn off the water, pray, reattach the hose, sigh of relief, turn the water back on and the hose shoots off the showerhead like a canon. Two more attempts, I get hit in the face by the projectile hose which has basically flooded the bathroom and I am still covered shampoo. I yell obscenities which now include those of the Scottish persuasion, and give up.

I proceed to fill a small bucket with equally as cold water from the sink and pour it over my head about seventy times. 

We talked to Evode and the shower technician is coming today.

1 comment:

  1. So incredibly funny, Erika (to me, but probably not to you). You are a great writer! If you survive this adventure, you have to take this book on the road.

    ReplyDelete