Sunday, January 6, 2013

Day 4


This fella has now successfully distracted me from work for approximately 15 minutes. And however long it will take me to write a decent post. You can't tell from the picture but Roy is about as long as my hand. Not that I picked him up.

I'm currently enjoying the honeymoon phase of living in Kigali. Agnes and Dinah took me to the coop/market on Friday and it was wonderful. I bought fresh produce including the most delicious pineapple I've ever eaten. I will not even attempt to spell the name of the market yet but it has fresh fruit and vegetables, rice, beans, cookware, fabrics, handicrafts, clothes. Pretty much everything you could possibly need.

Friday afternoon I started at my internship. Damas and I discussed his vision for the Research Center and now I get to put it into words. I am very excited to be working for him in the coming months. I have a lot to learn.

Friday night we (a couple of the others staying here and I) walked to Sole Luna, a pizza place "near by." The pizza was great and the company was even better. Between four and five other people are staying here on any given day. Everyone is working for different organizations with different specialties and interests which makes conversation a treat.

*INSERT 12 HOURS, RESCUING ROY AND A LONG WANDER AROUND KIGALI*

Saturday I attempted to get onto a moto while wearing a dress. I was relatively successful. That night the power went out so we decided to play pool at a bar down the street. A pretty typical Saturday I would say.

Today has been rather unproductive yet surprisingly exhausting. I ventured into the kitchen to make a real meal rather than existing on pineapple and Frosted Flakes. I didn't catch anything on fire. I think the exhaustion came from agreeing to accompany a friend to the market... which ended up being a four hour trip. I feel more comfortable finding my way around the city but it was storming and a man at the market fondled me while selling me tomatoes and green beans.

Most of this is probably useless and dull so I apologize. My body is resistant to adapting it's sleep schedule so I'm pretty much not sleeping. My brain is not functioning at the optimum level right now. I guess I will call it quits for now.

2 comments: