Monday, January 7, 2013

Day 5



I neglected to mention a moment of me making a fool of myself...
As Callum and I walked through the market (my goal by the end of my time here is to be able to pronounce and spell it properly) and between the carrots and the tomatoes was this huge… thing. It was bright green and shaped somewhat like a kidney bean covered in protrubent bumps. Except enormous. Probably about the size of my torso. As Callum and I discussed the strange veggie/gourd/produce in front of us, I half-jokingly said I wanted to touch it. Tomato Man understood enough English to grab my right wrist and proceed to stroke my hand against the rounded yet spiny surface of the enormous green kidney bean. I shouted in terror and everyone around me stopped, turned to look at me and laughed. And laughed. I turned bright red and Tomato Man said “You look like a crazy American, sister.” Even my Mazungu companion was laughing at me.

Tomato Man proceeded to grossly over charge me for 6 tomatoes and a handful of green beans. Then he fondled me and we parted as “friends.” 

I cannot recall whose theory this is (Sorry Dr Gatins) but it stated that adolescents operate with an extremely egocentric understanding of the world. I didn’t buy into this same mindset too much as a teenager. However, now I am absolutely certain EVEYRONE is watching EVERY embarrassing thing I do. Like trip into the enormous pits Rwandese consider gutters, or rocks or any other barriers the ground puts in front of me.

Something I’ve been wondering about… the traffic in Kigali in unlike anything I have ever experienced. It isn’t that there are an incredible number of cars on the road but simply that they don’t seem to operate under any formal law. I see structures that I assume are traffic lights but do not seem to actually stop traffic at appropriate times. Passing and non passing zones not only don’t matter but sides of the street are insignificant. The greatest wonder to me is that cars are built with the driver on either side of the vehicle. In some cars the driver is on the left and in others it is on the right. Sidewalks are merely a suggestion. If I am not hit by a mode of transportation in the next three months, it will be a miracle.

Things I love so far:
Becoming more efficient at cutting produce thanks to the lovely Agnes.
How easy it is to adapt here. Such as peeling a carrot with a dull knife. Much easier than one would assume. Or having my blow dryer work (for now).
Riding on the back of motos on a daily basis.
Thunderstorms. Though one kept me at the office for an extra half hour today.
The people. (Except maybe the Tomato Man).
Moments of complete cultural differences. Callum “That man is putting raw meat directly into a paper bag. We need to go somewhere else.”
My supervisor’s English is excellent to the point that he can point out in my writing where I am being vague but he cannot fix it for me so it forces me to develop and articulate my ideas better. Frustrating but a good learning experience.

Things I wish I had packed: Flip flops, brown paper lunch bags, garlic salt and more cough drops.

Most ridiculous notion I’ve had: It would be possible to mail something from Rwanda and have it arrive in the US within a few days. 

Note: We still have no idea what the mystery produce is.

2 comments:

  1. I am loving your descriptions of everything...I can envision your experiences in full color! It sounds like driving in Rwanda is even more of an adventure than in India. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it soursop or jackfruit? They're both green and prickly and big! I'm so jealous of all the new things you get I try. Enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete